COMMENTS – MagneFine Filter & Defective Chinese Copies

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
COMMENTS – MagneFine Filter & Defective Chinese Copies

If you wish to use a MagneFine inline filter, please be aware of the cheap and crappy Chinese knockoffs. Unless you look carefully, you may not be purchasing a genuine MagneFine filter. Of course, you can use another brand of filter, but note the comments at the end of this post if you choose to do that.

WARNING: various USA based ‘manufacturers’ like RAYBESTOS are selling Chinese KNOCKOFFs of the Australian MagneFine inline magnetic filter. These Chinese filters can fail (leak or the cap breaks off), and destroy your transmission from low ATF.

The most obvious example is NAPA p/n 1-8514 (3/8” ends) and p/n 1-8515 (5/16” ends), inside a Raybestos box. This is outwardly an exact copy of the MagneFine filter, except for the label, which clearly states MADE IN CHINA. Even Raybestos has not placed their name on the product label, the product they are selling under their name. That should tell you something.

Until 6-months ago, the same NAPA part numbers were a relabeled Magnefine. The label stated both MAGNEFINE and RAYBESTOS.

IF YOU WANT AN ORIGINAL MAGNEFINE FILTER, LOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING:
An original MagneFine filter will have a label with both the MAGNEFINE logo, and possibly another manufacturer’s name (if relabeled). There will also be a RED ARROW and the BLUE word FLOW. There will be an ISO 9001 number on the label. There will be a BATCH number on the label. Finally, there is a molded MAGNEFINE (name) logo and flow arrow, on the screw-on cap, under the paper label.

PICTURE: BATCH number [MFknockOff BATCH.JPG]

PICTURE: flow arrow [MFknockOff FLOW.JPG]

PICTURE: made in AUSTRALIA [MFknockOff AUSTRALIA.JPG]

PICTURE: molded MAGNEFINE name [MFknockOff MOLDED.JPG]

WHERE CAN YOU PURCHASE AN ORIGINAL MAGNEFINE FILTER?
An online direct link is:
http://www.magnefine.com/
http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

Possible local sources are listed here, for relabeled MagneFine filters. However, since the MagneFine manufacturer is constantly changing re-labelers, you *must* check the label when you purchase. And check for the molded MAGNEFINE (name) logo on the filter top, under the paper label. Also, check that the hose ends are the correct size that you want: either 3/8” or 5/16” or 1/2".

ATP JX-150
CHRYSLER DEALER: p/n 7347-A0884
FORD DEALER: p/n FT-167

WHAT ABOUT ANOTHER BRAND OF FILTER?
Sure, but just where do you think that they are made? Most other inline filters are also manufactured in China. Now, I do not mean to imply (or simply state outright) that everything made in China is crap. After all, most of the new GM and AC Delco repair parts are made there (yes, true). No more GM non-China parts are available for my Chevy, except for the occasional part from Mexico. But I digress …

I am only concerned about any company which previously was purchasing GOOD QUALITY MagneFine filters, and is so morally bankrupt that they would then have a cheap Chinese company *steal* the MagneFine design, copy it, and make truly poor quality copies. Raybestos, the USA company, did not even have the decency to lower the price of their cheap Chinese copy, but actually has the temerity to charge more than they were charging for the MagneFine filter.

Anyway, there are some good quality inline filters out there, other than the MagneFine. But I have not yet had the time to check any of them. Sorry, perhaps another time, in another post.

However, there is another aspect to this issue. The MagneFine filter is the only one currently available, that allows disassembly for checking, before use. Please do not misunderstand. The MagneFine company discourages disassembly before use, as it may cause the filter to leak. Care must be taken during disassembly, and reassembly.

And although I have not yet seen a MagneFine filter newer than 1-year old, I understand that the current MagneFine filter top is glued (as well as screwed on with threads). I will report on one of the newer glued filters, once I receive my new order. I ordered online, as I could not find a local source.

The reason for checking a filter before use, is that every product has some amount of failure rate. I have already noted in another post, that one of the MagneFine filters that I used, that the by-pass valve was defective (glued shut). I prefer to use a transmission filter that I can disassemble and check before use. At present, only the MagneFine filter can be disassembled for checking.

MORE INFORMATION:
DIY – add an inline TRANSMISSION filter
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803129

DIY – add an inline POWER STEERING filter
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828859
=======================
----eof
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

PICTURE of COMPLETE ORIGINAL LABEL
As best as I can determine, there is only one place to purchase a genuine MagneFine filter, either locally or online, in the USA.
http://www.magnefine.com/
http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

WHAT ABOUT THE RE-LABELERS?
NOTE that the packaging may say it’s a MagneFine, but the label pasted on the filter inside may say MADE IN CHINA.

The manufacturer of the MagneFine filter, BOSS PRODUCTS, located in Australia, has chosen to sell in the USA only through distributors and re-sellers and re-labelers. So the MagneFine filter is being sold under other names, rather than the MagneFine name. Resellers are free to sell any actual filter that they choose, under their own names. And as of the date of this post, I cannot find a single source for a genuine MagneFine filter, other than the LINK at the beginning of this post.

Regardless of what you see in an online picture or read in the description, just because the web site or eBay or Amazon says it’s a MagneFIne, you have no way of knowing that you will actually receive a MagneFine filter. So if you purchase a Raybestos or other brand of inline filter, maybe you will receive a MagneFine filter, and maybe you will not.

FORD used to sell a re-labeled MagneFine with MOTORCRAFT or FORD added to the MagneFine label. But now FORD sells a re-labeled SPX FILTRAN, for more money than purchasing the same filter from NAPA.

NAPA was selling re-branded MagneFine filters under various part numbers, but now those same part numbers are made by various other companies: CARDONE, SPX FILTRAN, RAYBESTOS CHINA FAKE, etc.

PICTURES OF A GENUINE MAGNEFINE LABEL:
When I have time, I will also post pictures of a re-label from a genuine MagneFine filter. Right now, my re-labeled filter is attached to my RDX.

Resellers and re-labelers will add their own name to a genuine MagneFine label. But an original genuine MagneFine filter re-label, will still have all of the same elements: FLOW ARROW, MAGNEFINE LOGO, ISO NUMBER, BATCH NUMBER, HOSE SIZE, MADE-IN-AUSTRALIA, PHONE NUMBER, AND PATENT NUMBER.

---eof
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

FAILED CHINESE FAKE FILTER
If your Chinese fake MagneFine filter breaks like the one in the pictures below, your transmission or Power Steering system is likely to suffer damage, perhaps even requiring replacement.

A BROKEN FAKE MAGNEFINE FILTER:
If you read online that someone has a genuine MagneFine filter that has failed, be certain to check the label of the filter in any pictures – the filter may be a fake. The following link states that a MagneFine filter broke under cold conditions. However, careful examination of the pictures posted in the link, show that the filter is actually a FAKE.

LINK to a RAYBESTOS FAKE CHINESE MAGNEFINE FILTER:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1039473-magnefine-filter-cold-weather-failure.html

CHECK THE LABEL, IF YOU WANT AN ORIGINAL MAGNEFINE FILTER:
If it says MADE IN CHINA, it is a FAKE. On the label of the filter in the pictures below, there is no MAGNEFINE logo, and the flow arrow does not look like a genuine MagneFine filter label flow arrow.

---eof