Help a n00b upgrade his sound system

Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help a n00b upgrade his sound system

I have a 2008 Non-Tech RDX, and the door speakers are starting to rattle under even moderate bass. I only have the bass turned up to 2/6, and turn it up to 3/6 when I'm feeling adventurous.

It seems that the amp produces enough bass to make me happy and the subwoofer is woofing just fine, but factory speakers don't seem up to it.

First of all, I'm pretty well technically versed, but I don't know anything about sound systems. SO MY QUESTION IS, can I just upgrade the door speakers, and maybe the two tweeters? Will that make a difference?

Thanks for the help, and I would appreciate a product/brand recommendation.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am doing the same myself but with my 2007 tech rdx. It is pretty easy you just need to get 6.5 inch speakers and some adapter housing and connector and it should work just fine. I haven't installed mine yet since they are still being shipped but the panels are pretty easy to get off and don't require much force.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesfan398
I am doing the same myself but with my 2007 tech rdx. It is pretty easy you just need to get 6.5 inch speakers and some adapter housing and connector and it should work just fine. I haven't installed mine yet since they are still being shipped but the panels are pretty easy to get off and don't require much force.
which speakers you end up getting? i want to change out the speakers too and havent decided which.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rencisosi
which speakers you end up getting? i want to change out the speakers too and havent decided which.
I did end up upgrading but it turned out to be a mess when I upgraded them with the stock amp. I ended up returning them all and just leaving in the 2.5 speakers in the back because they were to much of a pain to get out of. Personally I just decided to keep the stock ones and if you end up wanting to do anything just dynomat them. The stock amp can't really handle that much more since the stock ones are just 20 watts. Any aftermarket speaker uses way more than that. Just going to wait for when I get a new car and get the base speakers and update thoose.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesfan398
I did end up upgrading but it turned out to be a mess when I upgraded them with the stock amp. I ended up returning them all and just leaving in the 2.5 speakers in the back because they were to much of a pain to get out of. Personally I just decided to keep the stock ones and if you end up wanting to do anything just dynomat them. The stock amp can't really handle that much more since the stock ones are just 20 watts. Any aftermarket speaker uses way more than that. Just going to wait for when I get a new car and get the base speakers and update thoose.
You realize that 20 watts is actually a lot of power? When you see these massive wattage numbers on speakers and amps (think cheesy all-in-one home theater systems), they are massively overstated!

Example; my two channel home stereo consists of BBC ls/3a clone speakers (feel free to google that), which are VERY inefficient (takes a lot of power to get to a reasonable volume). I'm powering them with a vacuum tube amplifier that is currently producing a maximum of 16-18 watts/channel. With inefficient speakers and a low powered amp, I can easily fill my house with sound much louder than my comfort level.

Most listening (even at what seems like a high volume) is normally done with just a few watts of power. Running a speaker that is capable of handling higher wattage than stock doesn't negatively impact the amp. What can hurt it is mismatching impedance or trying to drive a very inefficient speaker (just makes the amp work harder to produce the same amount of sound).

When it comes to trying to upgrade just the door speakers, it can be difficult due to mismatched efficiency. I think mine are about ready to be replaced, and I think I'll just go the easy route with OEM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Advanced

I know that but at times when the music got loud the audio would actually cut out in the front with the aftermarket speakers. Only reason they would do that is if they need more power and that caused the amp to go out. So it does work but the music would cut out on the front channel. When I replaced it back to stock it worked perfect. It could be possible my amp is starting to go cause the car is starting to get old. It is a 2007 (really 2006). If you do end up replacing your speakers please do tell the type you get for your car.