Removing logos and emblems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Removing logos and emblems

what the safest way to remove the Acura/SHAWD/Turbo emblems from the car without damaging the paint?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx158
what the safest way to remove the Acura/SHAWD/Turbo emblems from the car without damaging the paint?
1) dental floss-thread to cut them off. Use gloves or you will also cut your fingers. Once the emblem starts to lift, use a hair dryer to heat the double sided tape, and pull off the emblem and as much tape as possible. And do not let the *other* end of the emblem push/ cut/ dent into the paint. Or for safety, just cut the entire emblem off.

2) heat the remaining double-sided tape with a hair-dryer, not a heat gun (too hot).

3) pick off as much tape as possible, using your finger nails, do not scrape unless carefully with a plastic spatula (such as from a paint store or home depot type store for wall spackle). Understand, if you heat the tape, you will also heat the body paint and any pressure can *dent* and damage the paint. So really, I don't suggest scraping unless you have done this before - just use your finger nails to pull, not scrape.

4) allow to cool completely, then use something to remove the remaining tape/ glue from the emblems: GooGone, WD40 (I don't like this), 3M tar and glue remover, etc.)

5) if the emblem has been on the car for years, then there will be slight paint imprint where the emblem was located. After removing final glue, wash away any solvent you used (such as GooGone automotive type) completely with cold water, use a hose and really wash. Then wash with a car soap, then rinse again with cold water.

6) use Meguiar's ScratchX to polish out the area. You may also wish to wait at least a week before doing this, as the paint will be slightly *indented* where the logos were located. Some hot sun or a hair dryer will help the paint to *recover*. THEN use the ScratchX. Do not go overboard. There will still be some small amount of visible indication of the emblem.

7) use a good wax/ cleaner wax or sealant. I just used Meguiar's M26 or M21 sealant, no cleaner wax as I think the ScratchX was sufficient.

One summer after removing the emblems, there was no longer any visible indication of the emblems on my 2009 RDX. Emblems removed after 2 years on car. I removed all emblems from the rear hatch, except the *circle-A* which is held with two pins into two holes in the hatch.

My car is silver, and a darker color will be more likely to show any imperfections. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Some people have said they can do an emblem in a few minutes - it took me about 1 hour per emblem.

Last edited by dcmodels; 03-05-2014 at 02:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcmodels:
rdx158 (03-07-2014), TribedazeRDX (11-23-2016)