RDX (non tech, 08) stock speaker replacement adding amos

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX (non tech, 08) stock speaker replacement adding amos

Hi all, I am in the process of replacing all of the stock speakers and the sub , installing a mono sub amp, installing a 4 channel amp for front componant and rear coax in my 08 RDX non-tech. Thought I would post my progress along the way. As soon as I can post pics, i'll start adding them as well. Unfortunately I did not take any for the rear door coax replacement but it is easy.

First I will tell you what I am going to do overall. I already have all the parts and am going to be doing this in phases for times sake. You can look up all the specs and prices on e-bay, but my main goal is to keep everything stock looking, and make no interior modifications. I also wanted to keep the amps stealth, so I chose to remove my spare wheel and build a deck to mount the amps, power distribution block, and ground block. I am also installing 2 cooling fans for the amp. You could choose to just use one 5 channel amp, or mount them somewhere in the trunk space.

Since I had a slight crackel in the back door coax speaker, I started by replacing them today. These procedure works the same on each side. I am replacing these speakers with Infinity Reference 6.5 Coax speakers. They fit perfectly and are 2ohm (just like stock).

First you must remove the door panel. This is done by removing the bolt (phillips) that is located under the armrest. Then there is a plastic cover right behind the door handle that pops out easily with a small screwdriver. (you will see the small cutout in the plastic for this purpose). Behind it you must remove 3 phillips screws. You must also remove the triangular plastic piece that sits in the corner between the door sill and window. You can pull it off by hand by pulling it towards the inside of the car (it is held on with just 2 clips). The rest of the door is held on with clips.

To pop the clips off easily and without marking up the plasttic I suggest you buy some plastic prying tools. I bought a set of 4 at Northern Tools for about 8 bucks.

Start at the bottom of the door. You will notice a cutout in the plastic. Stick your pry tool in this hole and use leverage to pull it. A clip should pop loose on the bottom. Then take your pry tool around the door and slowly but firmly pop all of the clips. They actually came off pretty easily. There are no clips on the top of the panel (by the window). The top actually sits on a lip. When you pop all of the clips loose around the panel, just lift the door upwards to take it off of the lip. The door panel will now come off, but it is still held with wires for the auto door locks and window switch. You can replace the speaker without removing/disconnecting these.

To remove the stock speaker there is one phillips screw at the top, take it out. Then use a screwdriver to start prying the speaker at the top to break the seal that has been created with the stock foam. The bottom of the speaker has a clip that just sits in a cutout. It will just lift straight up.

The speaker is connected with a plastic connector. Since this cannot be used with the Infinity's, just cut it off.

You will notice the wires coming out from the door are not long at all. To give myself some room to work, I used a plastic wire crimp connecter and added about 5 inches of wire to each stock wire comming from the door.

Next take your speaker and set it in the cutout in the door. Use a marker to mark the 4 holes on the new speaker that will mount it to the door. Using a power drill, cut a small hole where your marker is to install the sheet metal screws that will connect the speaker to the door.

Next, use a new piece of foam (that comes with the speakers) to create a barrier between the door and the speaker. Connect the extended-wires you created to the new speaker but putting them through the terminals and taping with electrical tape or soldering. Put the speaker in the cutout and align the installation holes on the speaker to the holes you just drilled in the door (4 holes) and fasten the speaker to the door with 4 sheet metal screws. (of course I forgot to mention after you wire the speaker to the car and before you use the screws to install it to the door, test it by turning on your radio and use the center/fade switches to single this speaker out).

Now juse reinstall the door by re-hanging the top of the door on the lip and pressing it firmly all around to reattach the clips. Reinstall the 3 screws behind the door handle and attach the plastic cover. Install the screw underneath the armrest. Reattach the triangular piece that sits between the door sills and the windos by aligning the clips and snapping it back into place.

Thats it. These speakers sound great. You will be suprised how flimsy the stock ones are and how light they are compared to the aftermarkets. Once you compare the quality it is suprising the stock ones didnt really sound too bad.

This took me about an hour to complete. Tools/materials required: Phillips screw driver, plastic pry tools, wire cutter/stripper, plast crimp wire connectors, sheet metal screws (I used #8 x 1/2 phillips round head) and some extra speaker wire, drill, drill bit (very small) and small flathead screwdriver.

Hope this is understandable and helps somebody.
The following users liked this post:
TruckerBomb (06-13-2011)
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up! How would you say the sound of the new speakers differs from the stock speakers?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced

droe, just a heads-up, when you switch out the amps, you may want to leave your stock amps in and run something like an audiocontrol l6ci between your stock amps and aftermarket amps. There's apparently a data feed between the headunit and the sub-amp that you want to maintain...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Fopaul thanks for that heads up. I was planning on leaving it in there cause I was unsure if i would lose somehting if i removed it so you just confirmed.

Superblast
I can definately hear more bass and more highs from the rear mids. However, the problem really is that they are being underpowered at the moment since I am using the stock amp. I really wont notice, like I expact to, a really great difference until I am all done. If I single out the backs with the rear fader, they are crystal clear, just don't have the power to get the volume I want so they are being drowned out by the front set when the fader is set to center.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
fopaul is 100% correct.... keep in the amps or you'll loose the muting function from your bluetooth navi ect!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks For The Info

Droebuck thanks for the info on replacing speakers on the RDX, I purchased a 2009 RDX TECH 6 months ago and recently noticed that my front passenger side speaker wasn't sounding we'll. Thanks to your step by step info I had it replaced in about 20 minutes. I replaced it with the stock ELS speaker but if I blow one in the future I will be definitely move up like you did.
Thanks again!