Side mirror fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Side mirror fix?

Today a ever so nice person decided to open their door all the way open on a narrow street here in Halifax without looking first and my passenger side mirror hit his door edge. The mirror buckled thankfully as its designed to fold so its only paint scuffing and a broken signal lens. I would go through insurance but I cant afford the deductible and I couldn't stop on the street to get his info since it was rush hour so I went around the block and when I got back, his spot was empty. So I assume he bailed like a true asshole . So with all this I ask does anyone know of a DIY or have any info on how I can replace this lens?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
If I had to guess, it would involve pulling the glass of the mirror off and accessing screw(s) behind it that hold the lens and lamp in place. May consider replacing the bulb while you're at it, although it might just come as a full assembly.

This might help -

The following users liked this post:
KayDen (06-02-2022)
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Sweet diagram. that's really helpful actually. I wonder what holds the mirror in place and how to get it off without breaking it. haha. I was worried I would have to remove the whole housing and all to just get at the blinker.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesky_OH8RDX
Sweet diagram. that's really helpful actually. I wonder what holds the mirror in place and how to get it off without breaking it. haha. I was worried I would have to remove the whole housing and all to just get at the blinker.

Parts 1/2 include the bulb, which is actually an LED – no separate bulb.

1) remove the mirror, part 4/8
2) unbolt the motor, part 5/6
3) unbolt the *blinker* part 1/2

DIRECTION: no matter which way you are facing, or standing, LEFT means driver side, and FRONT means front of the car. So, if referring to the right lower corner of the mirror, that means the passenger side of the mirror, regardless of whether it’s the front or rear side of the mirror, as normally facing the front of the car, with the mirror installed. Don’t get confused.

The mirror is held on with essentially double-sided tape in the center, and four clips on the four corners of the glass backing. The best way to determine how its held in place, is to purchase a new mirror – because its unlikely that you will be able to successfully reinstall the original.

These instructions are for the DRIVER side mirror, which is the one I replaced. You will need to *reverse* the instructions for the passenger side mirror.

1) tilt the driver side mirror, so that the lower right corner is the maximum distance from the mirror housing – toward the rear of the car. That makes the upper left corner of the glass the maximum distance into the mirror housing.

2) roll down the car window

3) just as the mirror housing can be folded back against the driver side window, it can also be folded forward – do so.

4) insert a flat-bladed screwdriver, with a large flat blade, under the back of the mirror glass backing, from the lower right corner of the glass-backing. Insert the blade between the back of the mirror, and the motor housing face.

5) DO NOT PRY against the mirror or motor. The mirror glass is stuck/ attached directly to the face of the positioning motor. Prying will break either the mirror glass, or the motor which is completely plastic. Instead. Rotate the screwdriver blade, so that the prying action is completely done by the blade only. It is necessary to *pop* the glass from the motor, by *releasing* the sticky tape and the four clips.

Now, what I did instead, was to use a very thin bladed screwdriver. I repeatedly inserted the blade between the mirror backing and the motor face, basically abrading away the sticky tape, until it was no longer holding the mirror in place.

Then I used a larger flat-blade screwdriver, as indicated above in step (5) and popped the four clips. There are also four metal clips on the back of the mirror glass, attached to the motor housing. These may need to be released. And new ones come with a new mirror glass, if you bend them. Don’t drop the glass

No matter how you remove the mirror glass, the original sticky tape is unlikely to hold on reinstallation – but its your decision. I guess you could use new 3M molding tape if you do not wish to purchase a new mirror glass/ backing.

Also, I was unable to get all four clips to snap into place upon reinstallation. And if you push/ press the glass against the motor housing very hard, you *will* break the motor housing – its plastic.

So I cut off the lower right corner clip, and only used the other three (and the tape on the back of the new mirror), to hold the replacement mirror in place. It has held now for 4 years, in 100 degree summers and 0 degrees winters.

The last tricky part is that there are four metal clips on the back of the mirror base. You need to carefully observe their location, and how they attach to the motor face, BEFORE you remove the original mirror glass. Otherwise, you are going to find it very confusing how to position and attach them when you reinstall the replacement (or original) mirror back into the side mirror housing.

Have fun.
The following users liked this post:
Lanesky_OH8RDX (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Wow thank you very much for the instructions. to make sure I put the mirror back in the right position do you think I can fit a silver Sharpie fine tip pen in there just to mark a line? I do that at school when I am disassembling a trans case, rotor head or anything that has to line up the same way it came off.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Instructor

So with doing this and already having broken the mirror glass my main concern should be to not damage the plastic motor yes? also do you think a dab of RTV silicone on the motor would be a bad idea?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sister hit a mailbox and managed to only break the glass of the passenger side mirror, so I told her I'd fix it.

This is in a 2011 RDX base model.

I ordered the part from the dealer, it was ~$30.

I'm not sure if the driver side is different in some way to the passenger, but dcmodels' instructions were mostly correct. My pointers in addition to his steps:

I found it was only possible to get a screwdriver in from the top right or bottom right corners (remember I'm working on the passenger side mirror). Even with it aimed as far left and down/up as possible, it was an extremely tight fit to get the screwdriver in at all.
Once it was in, I had to first unclip the two outside clips before I could get the screwdriver in to where the sticky goop is. I unclipped both by getting the screwdriver in between the mirror and the actuator "nub" and twisting.
Once both were unclipped, I was able to stab out the sticky goop with the screwdriver as described, then the clip on left (inboard) side unclipped relatively easily.

I found this picture which helped, though it shows the screwdriver getting in from the inboard side, which was not possible on my sister's car. Good luck, future people finding this thread like I did.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Important

[QUOTE=Tomtwtwtw;14946380]If I had to guess, it would involve pulling the glass of the mirror off and accessing screw(s) behind it that hold the lens and lamp in place. May consider replacing the bulb while you're at it, although it might just come as a full assembly.

This might help -

Hi, Today i broke the side mirror the little glass help for buying again. # of Part in the pic is 2. Only the glass.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear

side view mirror wobbles

I installed a new assembly side view mirror. It wiggle ever so slightly on the side arm.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Side mirror fuse blown??

I spent an hour or so replacing the passenger side mirror actuator. Unfortunately, the mirror would not go in the UP direction. I checked the connections and nothing, even with the old mirror (I am pretty sure but worked before). Then I was adjusting the driver mirror and it all stopped. Of course the seat memory is not working. I am not sure which fuse to check.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Bamahooty
I spent an hour or so replacing the passenger side mirror actuator. Unfortunately, the mirror would not go in the UP direction. I checked the connections and nothing, even with the old mirror (I am pretty sure but worked before). Then I was adjusting the driver mirror and it all stopped. Of course the seat memory is not working. I am not sure which fuse to check.
https://fuse-box.info/acura/acura-rdx-2007-2012-fuses
Old 06-01-2022, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks

well, there are plenty of articles on the Internet showing me the fuse layout, but most the time they were not labeled intuitively. That being said, I unhook the passenger side actuator and that must’ve had a short in it because everything started working again at least on the driver side. I still don’t understand what’s wrong with my brand new Acura part passenger actuator, but I’ll try it again and maybe I can get it to work.