Anyone have this problem (VSA/Emissions lights)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anyone have this problem (VSA/Emissions lights)

2 weeks ago I was driving around shopping when all of a sudden my VSA and Emissions lights came on. I stopped the car, turned it off and waited a few. Turned it back on and the VSA light went away but the "check emissions light" stayed on.

I called my dealership and they said to re-tighten the gas cap and then drive around for a bit. I did that and it went away after a few hours. Just to be safe I took it to the dealership and they said it was fine. Now tonight I have the exact same problem and it's really pissing me off. I live in one of the 2 retarded states (Oregon) that won't let me pump my own gas. I guess I have to get out every time I fill up and tighten the cap.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
its probaly the gas cap. just make sure it tightens until it clicks.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Missin my TSX =(

well... the gas-men arent completely to blame... the cap on the rdx does not say turn to 3 clicks... most cars say that... it does on my dads civic n my old tsx...
Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 AM
6th Gear

Might not be the gas cap -- I had the exact same problem. The first time I took it in, they couldn't find anything (probably thought it was gas cap also). Second time, they figured it out. My invoice says they "had to replace actuator to vtech". Haven't had the problem since.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure why a loose gas cap would affect the VSA system....
Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh and if your fuel cap was loose you should get the "Check Fuel Cap" or "Tighten Fuel Cap" message on the MID.

The actuator brix mentioned is the VTC actuator if you want to mention that to your dealer. Again, not sure how this would affect the VSA system, but who knows what is tied together in the PCM these days.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

well what the f**k did u did to your RDX!! goshhh me i take care of my rdxx so much lol maybe is those gas pump men fuc*ed your RDX lol
me i onlyhave the" low pressure tire"lights on bcuz i had to flat at the rear
Old 12-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brix
Might not be the gas cap -- I had the exact same problem. The first time I took it in, they couldn't find anything (probably thought it was gas cap also). Second time, they figured it out. My invoice says they "had to replace actuator to vtech". Haven't had the problem since.
This is why I posted about my problem. I'm going to bring this up to them when I take it in Tuesday. How long did it take them to replace the actuator and do you have anymore info?

edit: Thanks SASAir I'll mention that to them as well. Hopefully this will fix whatever is going on because I have no other problems with the car. I still love it, though!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

Update: I finally was able to take the RDX in today. I told them what I read from here and they pretty much brushed me off saying it could be anything.

4 hours later I get a call "oh the VTC actuator failed a couple of times but the engineers don't want to replace anything at this time so we performed a system update. Call us if it starts acting up and we'll replace it."
Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
those engineers and their infinite wisdom, however their not there when your car starts to give you problems or fails inspections
Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 AM
kim
4th Gear

same problem

I had the same thing happen to me today! i am annoyed but see that other people have experienced the same problem...i probably wont be able to get my car serviced for a couple of days b/c of the holidays...hope i will be okay driving my car around?? very frustrating...otherwise, i have been happy with the car...
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

How many miles do you guys have on your RDXs when this VSA/Emissions light comes on?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 AM
6th Gear

I got this msg today.........Tighten Fuel Cap...........
Old 07-04-2007, 07:55 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check emission system message?

With just less than 6000 miles on the vehicle, I got the "Check Emission System" message on the multi-information display. The malfunction indicator lamp also turned on.

Besides this message, I also got these message:
1) Vehicle Stability assist: 83 which further says there is possible something wrong with VSA and traction control system (TCS)
2) All-Wheel drive: 77
3) Throttle system: P1684

Sounds like I am having the same problem being described here. In the situations described on this thread, it seems the engineers replaced the VTC actuator though some what reluctantly. VTC actuator sounds like an important piece. Does it mean the vehicle does not have Vehicle Traction Control if VTC actuator is malfunctioning?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxowner2007
With just less than 6000 miles on the vehicle, I got the "Check Emission System" message on the multi-information display. The malfunction indicator lamp also turned on.

1) Vehicle Stability assist: 83 which further says there is possible something wrong with VSA and traction control system (TCS)
Multiple messages such as this are sometimes caused by poor quality voltage from the battery. The computer needs steady, reliable power. Sometimes it can be as simple as tightening the battery cable fasteners.

Some RDXs have had battery problems like these:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733

This might be a simple place to start from.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by rdxowner2007

Sounds like I am having the same problem being described here. In the situations described on this thread, it seems the engineers replaced the VTC actuator though some what reluctantly. VTC actuator sounds like an important piece. Does it mean the vehicle does not have Vehicle Traction Control if VTC actuator is malfunctioning?
Update: Took it to the dealer, and they ran diagnostics.

Dealer informed me that they need to replace the "Throttle Body" part. They were reluctant to give any more details. Not sure how faulty the part was, as the RDX was running just fine. Besides the malfunction messages, there wasn't anything perceptibly wrong with it.

If anyone happens to have a better understanding of the problem, please feel free to reply.

Now the vehicle will be with the dealer for 4 days while they get the part and replace it. They gave me a loaner, but it is still a hassle, and am a bit unhappy about the whole thing, more so considering the RDX has barely 6k miles on it.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Instructor

No! Not a problem.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
2007 RDX Silver/Base

I got the same issue, Check engine light and VSA warning light is on. It happened after I made a stop for coffee, while stopped to wait for traffic to pass by, I felt a bit shaking, coming from the engine. When I looked at the RPM meter, it was going up-and-down between 2000 and 1500 RPM and the above two warning lights are on.

The car can still be driven at that point, and since I was so close to my office (less than 1/2 mile), I decide to continue to drive back to my office before I turn off the engine. During this time, the car is like lots of power (even better than S mode).

After arrived in office, before I turned off the engine, I double check the RPM during IDLE, it was still around 1300RPM although it is steady. Turned it off for 10sec, then turned it back on, everything goes back to normal. VSA light was gone, but Check engine light was still on. RPM went back to normal state. I knew this has nothing to do with loosen GAS cap at all.

Call up my dealer, they asked the same thing.. Did u tighten your GAS cap?

Anyway, I brought the car into the dealership and they did a diagnostic check. They came back with a diagnostic code: P1009 - VTC system stuck in advance mode.

It sure is related to the VTC system, but is it related to the VTC actuator, it cannot be confirmed yet.

My mileage is at around 6000 miles. Wonder if the VTC has some design fault....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM
kim
4th Gear

that sounds exactly to what i had mentioned in an earlier post.
it seems to be better now..ie. the light does not come on anymore (fingers crossed)...it appeared to be a bit of a run around to get it fixed. i directed my acura dealership to this site to tell them what i thought the problem was.
what did your dealer do to fix the problem?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 PM
2007 RDX Silver/Base

Nothing yet. If the same thing happens again, I am sure will direct them to here also. Thx.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
got the same problem today apparently. Mom and dad took the rdx out so I can't see it but they called and told me the Check Emission and VSA indicator is on....

Lucky for me the car is going into the dealership for startup issues (weak battery im guessing) and loud pop on cold starts this will be on the list too.

I told them to tighten the gas cap once the stop and park.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

all indicators are gone after topping my gas tank off with sunoco 94 (which I always use) I did notice there was a bit of white residue where the gas cap screws in so I wiped it off and wiped the gas cap down and turned it 3-4 times, get in, start the car and error is gone.

Will it still be stored? I want them to check it and let me know what the code was just to make sure it was fuel system related.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

argh its back (actually this is the third time now).

I'm not pumping gas, the car has to go in for some dash trim replacement this week sometime gonna ask them to look at the CEL and figure it out.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 AM
08 RDX Tech Silver/Ebony

I would suggest all of you that had the 77 and 299 warning codes to check with your service departments again.

My RDX ate its catalytic converter.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2326
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry to rekindle an old thread.

I have just had the same problem listed above.

After leaving the car for 2 weeks in a garage, upon re-starting, the VSA, Check Emissions, and check AWD warning lights all went on and stayed on. I had trouble with acceleration as well.

Took it to the dealer. FIrst reply: rodents chewed your wiring. Wrong. No rodents. No signs of rodents.

Second reply, well the batteries on these cars cant handle sitting for 2 weeks - it's just an electrical fault. Wrong - I had a fine start - not a slow start. And why would the lights still be on the next morning?

Third reply: what kid of oil are you using? You must be using bad oil. Wrong - I always use Mobil 1. Always. I watch the local oil change guys do it themselves.

Final answer - after they bothered to hook the car up to diagnostics -

The spool valve assembly is bad and they have to fly one in from SoCal Acura Techline to replace.The engine is not getting oil at high pressures.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue? The threads I have read here for similar issues have always been catalytic converter, or fuel cap - never the spool valve assembly.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear

The Emissons and VSA lights came on today on our 2008 RDX. I have a universal trouble code reader and found P1009 in the ECU. Seems to act up worse when the engine is real hot and it's been 100 degrees here the last couple of days. Had the Tighten Gas Cap message last week (we did but it was already tight) and haven't seen it come back on. I guess it's back to the dealer. Car only has 1200 miles on it. Not a good start.

stumo
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
P-1009...Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) Advance Malfunction.

Step 1. Clear the DTC and see if it comes back. If not, system OK.

If it comes back:

2. Check the VTC strainer for clogging.
3. Test the VTC oil control soleniod valve.
4. Inspect/replace the VTC actuator.
The following users liked this post:
Thecrazytrains (09-17-2013)
Old 07-23-2008, 07:39 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info 737 Jock. Took it do the dealer yesterday and they did step 1 and nothing else. They were no where near as knowledgeable as yourself. Will see what happens but have a feeling the light will be back on.

Thanks again,
stumo
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jock
P-1009...Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) Advance Malfunction.

Step 1. Clear the DTC and see if it comes back. If not, system OK.

If it comes back:

2. Check the VTC strainer for clogging.
3. Test the VTC oil control soleniod valve.
4. Inspect/replace the VTC actuator.
Hi, can someone please tell me where to find the VTC strainer, VTC oil control solenoid valve and the VTC actuador please.
Thanking all in advance.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
The strainer and solenoid valve are located on the top right corner of the cylinder head and easy to access. See this diagram:

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/view-acura-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2012-rdx-5-base-2wd-5at&sn=&b=E++1010&dl=

The VTC strainer is item 9.

The VTC oil control solenoid valve is item 6.

The VTC actuator is part of the intake cam shaft and requires major engine disassembly.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
For me, the question is why would the VTC strainer clog? I mean, there is an engine oil filter, and the screen is likely more coarse than an oil filter. So, just what is clogging the strainer?

I can understand the VTC solenoid failing, as it is an electrical device.

Yeah, hope never to have a failure of the VTC actuator.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Cruisin'

Code P1009 Check Emissions/VSA System

I got this same code and warning light earlier this year. The warning lights would come and go throughout the year. Mostly towards the end of the oil life. I would change the oil then it would be fine for a while.

So, now that I have my radiator is out I was thinking about doing something to fix it. With all my research I have learned about cleaning the vtc solenoid valve and the vtc strainer.

I too am curious about why they would become clogged. Does it have something more to do about the viscosity rather than particles??

Should I just clean the strainer or should I go all out and check the solenoid too?

Or could it be something completely different?

Name:  STK4E1010_zps0066d3e4.png
Views: 13345
Size:  11.8 KB

The VTC strainer is item 9.

The VTC oil control solenoid valve is item 6.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R1100S2000
... The warning lights would come and go throughout the year. Mostly towards the end of the oil life. I would change the oil then it would be fine for a while.

... With all my research I have learned about cleaning the vtc solenoid valve and the vtc strainer.

I too am curious about why they would become clogged. Does it have something more to do about the viscosity rather than particles?? ...
Perhaps sludge? how long in calendar time does it take before an oil change? and for an extreme example, consider this. The engine is started, allowed to idle for 10 minutes, but does not warm up completely. Then the vehicle is allowed to sit for 12 months, and then the oil is changed. That would be perfectly acceptable to the MID, and the Owner's Manual. But I hope that it is obvious why that would be very bad on the engine.

So, if you drive lots of short trips, and allow the vehicle to sit for a week at a time, that will create sludge, and block the VTC strainer, which I assume is the reason it is there.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dcmodels
Perhaps sludge? how long in calendar time...
I change the oil every 3-4 months. Sometimes in the summer it may sit for a week because of the other vehicle that I drive. But not too many short trips. Slight amount of sludge may be the cause.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear

Shortly after buying my used 2011 RDX base w/23000 miles on it.... Got a warning to check fuel cap. We'll I knew this was not the issue since I am a geek that reads owner manuals and this is ingrained. This progressed to emission warning with the engine VSA. took it to Acura dealer.

Informed of suspected rodent damage to a plastic corregated shield that sits on top of fuel tank and is part of the whole fuel tank assemblage kit. Hole very small but is letting enough emission through to trip a sensor. Svc advisor said it did not affect engine performance or fuel mileage, but if would have to replace entire fuel tank to make this issue go away....for $1200.00. I asked why couldn't it just be caulked with silicone or something if nothing was actually wrong with the tank itself. I asked a local repair shop about this. They said I could buy the tank assy myself and have an independent shop install, but it had to be a shop that could smoke test it. I suspect the used car dealer I bought this from reset the computer to hide the issue. Hate to waste money if there is an repair alternative. This warning indicator and VSA light drives us crazy.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WarEagle90
... could buy the tank assy myself and have an independent shop install, but it had to be a shop that could smoke test it. ...
Say what? and do you know which is the actual part suspected with damage? is it a separate part from the tank, or part of the tank? sorry, I did not quite understand your comment about being part of the assemblage (sp). Would you have to drop the tank to get to the suspected hole. Silicone seems like it would work, although I would use the sensor safe stuff.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Had both lights simultaneously come up on my Acura TSX'09, 60K miles, one year out of warranty. Well, actually it happened half a year ago. Took it to few mechanics, the first one just referred me to Acura dealership, the second one suggested to change the oil (I admit I was putting different oil there - sometimes synthetic, other times semi-synthetic) and see if it fixes the problem before we proceed with more involved things - well it didn't. Given that he charged me about $700 for changing front rotors and pads, honestly I'm a bit hesitant to come back for more involved procedures

The car feels underpowered now, it used to accelerate way better. Also, it started eating oil - I only did 1.5K since last change and the "check oil level" indicator just came up.

Stopped at the AutoZone and that's what the computer showed:
83-1 ABS
Engine Control Module (ECM) / Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

61-1 ABS
Battery Voltage Malfunction
CURRENT

Should I bite the bullet and go to the dealership? I've obviously been trying to avoid that, as I don't support their shady business practices. Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 220 Posts
Go to the dealer and get a diagnostic and quote for parts. If you don't like the price, talk them down, most dealership do not want to lose customers.