2011 Hybrid RDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Question 2011 Hybrid RDX

New Sedan to take Acura to Tier 1 Status

Posted on Monday 11 August 2008

Update: Acura’s plans for its future lineup are ambitious and bold - two necessary qualities for a Japanese company seeking to enter the luxury car market and beat the Germans at their own game. To do so the carmaker has its sights set on a radical revamp of its current lineup as well as the addition of several all-new models. The final objective is to distance itself from Honda once and for all.

While the TSX, RL, and TL have been redesigned for 2009, Honda’s vice president for corporate planning in North America, Dan Bonawitz, admits that none of these cars are up to ‘tier’ 1 standards. However, in a recent interview with Automotive News, Bonawitz boasted that the situation will change in 2010 when an “all-new vehicle about the same level as the TL” arrives.

The RL’s poor sales performance has led to speculation that it will be replaced before 2012, speculation which has been fueled by Bonawitz, who revealed that Acura has a “sedan coming that will clearly put [them] in tier 1″ before 2012.

The RL’s possible replacement may become the Acura that can intimidate the Germans, with a possible 400hp (298kW) 4.5L V8 engine and a RWD layout rumored to be among its list of specs. There’s also the chance that this new sedan will be sold alongside the RL as no final decision on the future of either model has been confirmed. Pictured above is the Acura Advanced Sedan Concept from 2006’s Los Angeles Auto Show, a striking design study for a flagship sedan.

Also rumored to be in the works is a new four-seater coupe as a possible replacement for the CL.

One model that is confirmed is the replacement for the NSX supercar. Seen testing recently at the Nurburgring, the new flagship model is expected to sport a 550hp (410kW) V10 engine with 420lb-ft (570Nm) of torque.

Finally, the RDX will come in for a redesign for the 2011 model year and could spawn a hybrid variant. This will be followed that same year by the next-generation MDX, which could be offered with a new V6 turbodiesel engine. A third SUV model could be added to Acura’s lineup as revealed by a new prototype caught testing recently in California’s Death Valley.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new TL is a 5 series competitor...TSX is not a 3 series competitor...RL is useless..RDX is capable(needs V6)..MDX is capable..no coupes...and their new designs are lets say not well accepted. On top of this their dealer network(at least near me) is not even close to the same level as a BMW or Lexus. They really have their work cut out for them if they want to target the BMW and Lexus area. Unfortunately, this may also mean the prices may go up. What I like about Acura is that you can get a great luxury-ish car for a good price.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
acura also has the CSX up here

Which is a glorified Civic but still they have a type s model that looks and I hear performs quite well
Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buxtons
The new TL is a 5 series competitor...TSX is not a 3 series competitor...RL is useless..RDX is capable(needs V6)..MDX is capable..no coupes...and their new designs are lets say not well accepted. On top of this their dealer network(at least near me) is not even close to the same level as a BMW or Lexus. They really have their work cut out for them if they want to target the BMW and Lexus area. Unfortunately, this may also mean the prices may go up. What I like about Acura is that you can get a great luxury-ish car for a good price.

It's amazing when you guys say stuff like that! If what they have now ain't 'Tier 1' and you get what you pay for, do you expect the price to stay the same, if and when their cars become tier 1? Come on, now! I guess you won't like Acura when they start producing true luxury(not -ish!) at a luxury car price?(whatever that may be. Don't ask me ask, BMW, M-B, Lex, Inf, Aud, etc.)

I'm just sick of all those comment. We all want Acura to succeed in becoming Tier1, but some of ya'll want the price to stay the same. Poor Acura, they just can't win!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 PM
xav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mau108
acura also has the CSX up here

Which is a glorified Civic but still they have a type s model that looks and I hear performs quite well
Lol what's next?

An ACURA FIT'X.

On a serious note, I am sure some people out there would buy a FIT with leather with GPS and voice recognition + a small turbo or hybrid engine.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
New Sedan to take Acura to Tier 1 Status

Posted on Monday 11 August 2008

Update: Acura’s plans for its future lineup are ambitious and bold - two necessary qualities for a Japanese company seeking to enter the luxury car market and beat the Germans at their own game. To do so the carmaker has its sights set on a radical revamp of its current lineup as well as the addition of several all-new models. The final objective is to distance itself from Honda once and for all.

While the TSX, RL, and TL have been redesigned for 2009, Honda’s vice president for corporate planning in North America, Dan Bonawitz, admits that none of these cars are up to ‘tier’ 1 standards. However, in a recent interview with Automotive News, Bonawitz boasted that the situation will change in 2010 when an “all-new vehicle about the same level as the TL” arrives.

The RL’s poor sales performance has led to speculation that it will be replaced before 2012, speculation which has been fueled by Bonawitz, who revealed that Acura has a “sedan coming that will clearly put [them] in tier 1″ before 2012.

The RL’s possible replacement may become the Acura that can intimidate the Germans, with a possible 400hp (298kW) 4.5L V8 engine and a RWD layout rumored to be among its list of specs. There’s also the chance that this new sedan will be sold alongside the RL as no final decision on the future of either model has been confirmed. Pictured above is the Acura Advanced Sedan Concept from 2006’s Los Angeles Auto Show, a striking design study for a flagship sedan.

Also rumored to be in the works is a new four-seater coupe as a possible replacement for the CL.

One model that is confirmed is the replacement for the NSX supercar. Seen testing recently at the Nurburgring, the new flagship model is expected to sport a 550hp (410kW) V10 engine with 420lb-ft (570Nm) of torque.

Finally, the RDX will come in for a redesign for the 2011 model year and could spawn a hybrid variant. This will be followed that same year by the next-generation MDX, which could be offered with a new V6 turbodiesel engine. A third SUV model could be added to Acura’s lineup as revealed by a new prototype caught testing recently in California’s Death Valley.

What was the source of this info?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by xav
Lol what's next?

An ACURA FIT'X.

On a serious note, I am sure some people out there would buy a FIT with leather with GPS and voice recognition + a small turbo or hybrid engine.
My wife has an '08 Fit Sport. It's a great little car and gets 33+ mpg. The '09 will have more horses, XM, navi, and stability and traction control. Don't know about leather, but maybe pleather. If they could add more sound insulation it would be the almost perfect sub-compact.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ikko
It's amazing when you guys say stuff like that! If what they have now ain't 'Tier 1' and you get what you pay for, do you expect the price to stay the same, if and when their cars become tier 1? Come on, now! I guess you won't like Acura when they start producing true luxury(not -ish!) at a luxury car price?(whatever that may be. Don't ask me ask, BMW, M-B, Lex, Inf, Aud, etc.)

I'm just sick of all those comment. We all want Acura to succeed in becoming Tier1, but some of ya'll want the price to stay the same. Poor Acura, they just can't win!

My point is I actually like Acura the way it is now as I feel they make a great car for the money. If they move to "tier 1" and start charging more for the privilege then they had better step up their game to make the cars worth it. If they don't offer what the other guys offer at the higher price then no I won't like them and I will most likely shop around.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There wont be anything to shop it around with in terms of lower costing lux. If they are dedicated to move into higher territory, just expect pricing to be that of a lex, infi etc. No more bargain basement deals. Now more than ever, you are either going to get an Accord, or you need to lay down the cash to move up to a TL. V6 Honda to a V6 Acura from that article, is going to be a big change.

IMO...i think what has worked for Acura in the past has been the lower stickers, and getting what you want for a lower price, but not all the glitz and sticker shock that comes with the german cars or even lex and infiniti. If a TL is going to start costing close to 40k, like an AWD G35....not so sure id even consider the TL in a price bracket like that. Theyd really have to restructure the brand to justify pricing.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

Arrow MotorAuthority

Originally Posted by Rexorg
What was the source of this info?
The headline of the article was a link to the original story in MotorAuthority.

I am still intrigued by a hybrid option since all we have heard about were diesels for their SUVs & large cars.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Arrow This Article Might Explain the Hybrid Rumor

Honda Awaiting New Super Lithium-Ion Battery for Next Generation Hybrids
By Bill Visnic, Senior Editor

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- Honda Motor Co. is preparing for an all-new, advanced lithium-ion battery that will allow its engineers to extend Honda's Integrated Motor Assist hybrid-electric technology to larger vehicles, a senior company executive told Green Car Advisor during an annual auto-industry conference frequented by heavy-hitters from carmakers' management ranks.

Honda has in the past been non-committal about lithium-ion, but that posture apparently is changing. And Honda recently was linked in lithium-ion talk with Japanese electronics giant and battery developer Sanyo Electric Co.

John German, American Honda's manager of environmental and energy analysis, said the coming lithium-ion battery formula -- the developer of which he wouldn't name -- does not enjoy extra capacity compared with known lithium-ion characteristics. Instead, the new chemistry is targeted at allowing the batteries to charge much more quickly.

This, in turn, will allow for an increased amount of battery capacity that can be assigned to actually powering the motor. And more power means the IMA system can be employed for larger, heavier vehicles.

In addition, German says the new batteries will be markedly cheaper.

Apart from potential for vehicles such as the Ridgeline midsized pickup or the Odyssey minivan, the extra IMA performance could mean a return of the Accord Hybrid - this time using a 4-cylinder engine instead of the first-generation Accord Hybrid's V6.

German says the new butt-kicker lithium-ion chemistry should be ready in about the same timeframe as GM's lithium-ion-dependent Chevrolet Volt "extended-range" electric vehicle, the car that put lithium-ion development on the hot seat.

That means sometime around 2010 for low-volume application, says German, but perhaps as much a five years or more from now for "large-scale" production runs. The timing could make the batteries possible for a production version of the sport-oriented, and presumably low-volume, CR-Z coupe.

German says the two issues with Honda's current IMA system - which uses nickel-metal hydride batteries - are space constraints and comparatively low power, limiting its "scalability" for larger, heavier models.

And while Honda brags about the slenderness of IMA's engine-enhancing electric motor - which is wedged between the engine and transmission - German says underhood space has become so valuable that even the currently required 1.5 inches or so is tough to engineer.

But Honda's advanced lithium-ion battery's potential for the midsize Accord must be tempting, as the company is no doubt anxious to get back in the game against Toyota's Camry Hybrid, of which Toyota reputedly has just a five-day inventory.

Honda's first Accord Hybrid was designed for performance enhancement, coupling the IMA system with the company's thrusty 3-liter V6.

Accord's loyal buyers didn't respond, however, and Honda dropped the Accord Hybrid after the '07 model year and before the next-generation model was introduced for '08.

While Toyota's hybrids keep selling well, German told Green Car Advisor, that he thinks Toyota invested in the wrong technology by opting for the "full" hybrid design instead of Honda's IMA mild hybrid system.

"We get 80 percent of the (full-hybrid) benefit at 60 percent of the cost,"
German insists.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 AM
07 RDX White w/tech

I will be back in 2010 if...

Several months ago I traded my RDX tech for a 2008 Accord. Many reasons for the trade(no longer needed SUV,fuel economy,didnt like some features of RDX,as well as the declining trade in value).If Acura has such a vehicle( RDX that gets over 30mpg) I most likely be back.I have no regrets with my Accord-getting 28 mpg all around(4cyl). Its the same engine as the RDX minus the turbo.I still wish the AWD system be an option -it would cost less and give even better gas mileage.
If I had waited till now to trade my 07 for the Accord, It would not have been an even swap. I would have gotten thousands less for my RDX-probably gotten near to nothing in 2010 when such hybrids come out.Who would want to buy a gas guzzler RDX in 2010 when SUV's will be getting most likely 30 plus at that time?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HenryFL
Several months ago I traded my RDX tech for a 2008 Accord. Many reasons for the trade(no longer needed SUV,fuel economy,didnt like some features of RDX,as well as the declining trade in value).If Acura has such a vehicle( RDX that gets over 30mpg) I most likely be back.I have no regrets with my Accord-getting 28 mpg all around(4cyl).

Its the same engine as the RDX minus the turbo.

Well, no, not exactly...

In order for the boost level, once it gets "there", to be acceptable, remain within the base engine design specifications, the RDX version of the "same" engine is detuned/derated when running off-boost. Detuned/derated the majority, the clear majority, of the time the engine is in operation.

Add DFI along with the Atkinson/Miller/West cycle engine and the raw cylinder compression ratio could be ~16:1 but with an overall effective ratio off-boost in the range of 12:1.

33 MPG hwy AVERAGE.

Dissatisfied with the hwy MPG rating, now you know why.

I still wish the AWD system be an option -it would cost less and give even better gas mileage.
If I had waited till now to trade my 07 for the Accord, It would not have been an even swap. I would have gotten thousands less for my RDX-probably gotten near to nothing in 2010 when such hybrids come out.Who would want to buy a gas guzzler RDX in 2010 when SUV's will be getting most likely 30 plus at that time?
The RDX's SH-AWD system is absolutely the best of the BEST for sideways engine mounted, FWD "base" vehicles. So the BEST of F/AWD systems and now they need to bring an engine to market with the equivalent level of forward thinking.