Honda class action lawsuit on 3.5L VCM engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Honda class action lawsuit on 3.5L VCM engines

So anyone know if this includes Acura engines?
Is the RDX VCM-2?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/23/h...wsuit-engines/
Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have 32,000 miles on our 2013 RDX and we have never needed to add oil. I do most of my own oil changes.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"In a first-ever application for an Acura engine, Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) is applied to the 2013 RDX 3.5L V-6 engine to help improve the fuel efficiency. Known as VCM-II, it is the latest version of the system that allows the engine to run in one of three operating parameters- all six cylinders, four cylinders or three cylinders. The original version of VCM® (used on earlier Honda V-6 engines) only allowed for six- or three-cylinder operation."

From this page:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=6556-en
Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Another story on this:

Honda's Excessive Oil Consumption Problems; V6 Engines burning through oil like it's going out of style

http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...sumption.shtml

Apparently there are different variations on this engine with VCM-II (no surprise there.)

I looked on the Honda website and found the hp ratings for three models with the VCM-II engine:

Odyssey -248 hp
Pilot - 250 hp
Accord & Crosstour - 278 hp

And, we all know the RDX version puts out 273 hp.

You have to wonder why Acura's version was not included.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Incidentally I believe the Acura Power Train warranty is already 7 years or 70,000 miles.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Hmmm, let's hope those bugs are worked out of these engines.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
This is complete news to me. 1 Qt of oil every 1,000 miles is 'normal' oil consumption? Wow. This brings back memories of the bad transmission Honda built back in the 90's and then tried to walk away from.

I'm hopeful that VCM-II addressed this problem.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BobBass
Another story on this:

You have to wonder why Acura's version was not included.
I thought Acuras did not have VCM, at least until the present RDX, MDX, and RLX.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Rocket-man,

Seems to me the 1 quart every 1K miles is the "out" manufacturers and service departments have used whenever they need to find an excuse to not do anything about it.

IMO, there should be NO oil consumption between changes. Anything else is unacceptable and indicates a problem.

Also, if you look at my previous posts here, the settlement involves the VCM II Honda engine, and I have yet to see anythng showing how it differs from the one used in Acuras except for hp rating.

I would WELCOME any evidence showing that. I'm getting really close, as in NEXT WEEK, to pulling the trigger on one and this potential problem is another addition to the "negative column" regarding the RDX.

Last edited by BobBass; 10-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
This is complete news to me. 1 Qt of oil every 1,000 miles is 'normal' oil consumption? Wow. This brings back memories of the bad transmission Honda built back in the 90's and then tried to walk away from.

Nope that was the early 2000's. My 2002 TL was a disaster with the tranny. (4 before I got rid of it).
Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

I also had a 2002TL. They fixed the trans no charge for me at 70,000 miles and it now has 240,000 miles without another problem. Not sure what they did to it but it worked.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Nope that was the early 2000's. My 2002 TL was a disaster with the tranny. (4 before I got rid of it).
Originally Posted by Davecpa
I also had a 2002TL. They fixed the trans no charge for me at 70,000 miles and it now has 240,000 miles without another problem. Not sure what they did to it but it worked.
My faulty Honda was a '92 or '94 model year. I guess you can call me an 'early adopter' of problematic transmissions. This was prior to Honda owning up to it and I had to dump the car. At least later on they replaced them and gave extended warranties.

Rocket-man,

Seems to me the 1 quart every 1K miles is the "out" manufacturers and service departments have used whenever they need to find an excuse to not do anything about it.

IMO, there should be NO oil consumption between changes. Anything else is unacceptable and indicates a problem.

Also, if you look at my previous posts here, the settlement involves the VCM II Honda engine, and I have yet to see anythng showing how it differs from the one used in Acuras except for hp rating.

I would WELCOME any evidence showing that. I'm getting really close, as in NEXT WEEK, to pulling the trigger on one and this potential problem is another addition to the "negative column" regarding the RDX.
No doubt that is a cop out. If you think about it, you don't even need to change your oil because it gets burned up at a faster rate than you change it, so you always have fresh oil in the engine. I think this is a feature! They should put this in the brochure. Maybe a large oil tank in the trunk and a pump to constantly refresh the oil in the engine? Never need an oil change.

I have not heard of any RDX owners here having oil consumption problems. If it were happening I'm sure it would have come up on these boards.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 09 V6 Accord (which is part of the class action lawsuit) and a 13 RDX. I can tell you there is a world of difference. VCM on Accord is very noticeable however on RDX it is pretty much undetectable. Also, oil consumption has not been a problem at all with the RDX but has been with my Accord. Oil consumption on the Accord is leading to fouled spark plugs (which happened to me 2 hours from home in downtown Providence). Cost me $250 bucks to have plugs replaced, which now I will get reimbursed for. I can definitely say my RDX has none of the Accord symptoms or issues, at least so far!
The following users liked this post:
lji (06-15-2015)
Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Drifting

My faulty Honda was a '92 or '94 model year. I guess you can call me an 'early adopter' of problematic transmissions. This was prior to Honda owning up to it and I had to dump the car. At least later on they replaced them and gave extended warranties.

No doubt that is a cop out. If you think about it, you don't even need to change your oil because it gets burned up at a faster rate than you change it, so you always have fresh oil in the engine. I think this is a feature! They should put this in the brochure. Maybe a large oil tank in the trunk and a pump to constantly refresh the oil in the engine? Never need an oil change.

I have not heard of any RDX owners here having oil consumption problems. If it were happening I'm sure it would have come up on these boards.
Interesting, I had a 1992 Honda Accord EXR (top of the line in Canada @ the time), and I had it for 10 years and 350,000 KMs, about 210,000miles with no problems at all. It was the most reliable car I ever had.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting...and I thought the subaru 2.5 engines were the only bi oil-aholics
Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Well hey now, it's a maintenance free feature ... never need to change the engine oil ever! Just fill it up every 1,000 miles!

"In a first-ever application for an Acura engine, Variable Cylinder Management™ VCM-III is the latest version of the system that allows maintenance free operation of the engine to never require any engine oil changes. The system employs an automated oil siphon system to allow lean burn of contaminated engine oil within the combustion chamber. The owner only needs to periodically add 1 quart of engine oil directly to the crankcase at the predetermined fill up period adjustable via the MID custom settings."

Last edited by ipribadi; 10-27-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have hoped since I purchased my 2012 Pilot and now my 2014 RDX that Honda solved this issue with their VCM engines. My 2009 Pilot went through five plugs with me paying for three of them. If this happens to either of my current vehicles, I'm not going to be eager to buy another VCM based vehicle. Good thing that I keep all of my maintenance receipts. By the way, my 2009 didn't have the problem until just after the powertrain warranty expired.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Like the refrigerator compressors that fail a few months after the five year warranty.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
Interesting...and I thought the subaru 2.5 engines were the only bi oil-aholics
You haven't had the pleasure of owning a 13B-REW engine then
Oil consumption was ACTUALLY a feature. I used to pre-mix a cap full of 2 stroke engine oil in my gas tank to help it out.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
No, the settlement did not include Acura engines. Read the document. Early Honda VCM engines did have some oil issues. I knew about it, and questioned my Honda "top level" tech before I bought my '12 Accord Cpe. It never used any oil. He said the problem had been fixed prior to that engine. The class action covers all just to make sure.
Yes, the '13 RDX was the first Acura engine to use VCM. It deactivates 2 or 3 cylinders depending on the engine loading. Same as the '12 Accord V6 engine. Earlier versions of Hondas deactivated 2 cylinders.

Honda got it right before the '12 Honda V6's I believe, since those engines didn't appear to be having the kind of issues like the '08 engines did....this according to my tech. He worked on many of the early ones...but, said by '11 the issues seemed to be cured.

My '13 RDX doesn't use a drop of oil. All those that are "panicing" over this class action suit...need to relax.

ALSO: The old question about problems, issues, etc, with the new RDX and people wanting to jump ship to other brands...know this....C.R. just put together the stats from owners combined with their own testing and have Acura products in the top 3 with Lexus and Toyota. Audi moved to 4th and Volvo 7th. Honda dropped.

ALL mechanical machines will have a problem of some kind along the way. In the case of autos....it's the brand that has the fewest problems over a period of time....and they stay toward the top of the ratings year after year....that's the vehicle to want and to buy.

Acura falls into that class of vehicle. Flawless.....no, of course not. One of the best or better than most...yes. I now have 2 Acuras and they are the best all around quality vehicles I have ever owned...and I'm on vehicle #61 now.

Will get an MDX in a couple of years. Awesome SUV. My dealer wants me to get the new upcoming NSX. I said "NO!"....the cost has gone too high. Need a cool Acura sports car in a price range that most upper middle and higher folks can afford.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Most manufacturers have ridiculous "normal consumption" specs like that from what I've found.

Rocket-man,

No oil use is overkill, but if you have to add oil between oil changes, you should start to look into potential problems. There is going to be some burning of the oil through standard combustion, so no usage is impossible.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

I had an Acura service advisor tell me the exact same thing, in which I laughed at him and said that would be good PR for Honda. Come on Honda, get back to your roots and what made you famous, we don't want you turning into the next GM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Techgirl
I have hoped since I purchased my 2012 Pilot and now my 2014 RDX that Honda solved this issue with their VCM engines. My 2009 Pilot went through five plugs with me paying for three of them. If this happens to either of my current vehicles, I'm not going to be eager to buy another VCM based vehicle. Good thing that I keep all of my maintenance receipts. By the way, my 2009 didn't have the problem until just after the powertrain warranty expired.
Nope. My VCM 2 2011 oddyseey touring just had the plugs foul up, rough idling and coil failure. Luckily no engine damage. Only 40k miles. Dealer said they are aware of it and covered the fix for free. They put new plugs a new coil and a PCM software The newest VCM 2 Hondas etc are in the class action lawsuit. I will be dumping it soon. Maybe honda will get this sorted out for VCM 3? Lol. No more homda vcm for me. NOt to mention the annoying vibration that my dumped 13 RDX vcm 2 would make at a steady 60mph highway with cruise control on. Unacceptable. Toyota all 6 cyl run and a real timing chain. No vibrations.

Last edited by danmangto; 04-18-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:21 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Bumping up an old thread, but can folks here provide an update regarding the VCM issue? I'm trying to recommend the '16 RDX to a family member who owns a '10 Accord V6 with VCM and have had issues with the spark plugs fouling and oil consumption. They're looking to get into an SUV and I don't want to recommend Honda/Acura V6 engines at the moment due to the oil consumption/vibration/spark plug fouling issues. My '10 TL SH (3.7L) burns oil at a rate of a quart every 3,000 miles and am keeping a quart of oil in the trunk at all times.

If folks here with extended miles on their '13, '14, '15 RDX's can chime in, it'd greatly alleviate concerns in recommending the new RDX. Went through the sub forum here and mostly the issues raised with the RDX and VCM is mostly vibration. If it's not excessive vibration, I do not think this is a deal breaker, and also read on Acura's website that the '16 RDX has active engine mounts to control vibration in 3 cyl mode.

Last edited by lji; 06-15-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:00 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a '13 RDX with about 50,000 miles. No VCM issues and no oil consumption to this point.
lji (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Instructor

I have a '13 bought new and I'm keeping track of all fuel ups (RDX FWD Tech (Acura RDX) | Fuelly).
The only thing done to it was a rear shock replaced under warranty that was leaking.

I also mostly run regular unleaded and haven't noticed any unusual oil consumption or engine issues.

I owned a FD3S and THAT consumed oil (on purpose tho). I also would like to think I'm pretty in tune with my own car since I have pulled and replaced turbos on my old Audi B5 S4 and raced it in autocrosses. I firmly believe this car will run just fine even on unleaded

Then again I might just have a lucky car
lji (06-16-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
2013 RDX with 30,000 miles on it. If I use 1/3 a quart between oil changes, it is a lot. No excessive oil consumption.
lji (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by lji
Bumping up an old thread, but can folks here provide an update regarding the VCM issue? I'm trying to recommend the '16 RDX to a family member who owns a '10 Accord V6 with VCM and have had issues with the spark plugs fouling and oil consumption. They're looking to get into an SUV and I don't want to recommend Honda/Acura V6 engines at the moment due to the oil consumption/vibration/spark plug fouling issues. My '10 TL SH (3.7L) burns oil at a rate of a quart every 3,000 miles and am keeping a quart of oil in the trunk at all times.

If folks here with extended miles on their '13, '14, '15 RDX's can chime in, it'd greatly alleviate concerns in recommending the new RDX. Went through the sub forum here and mostly the issues raised with the RDX and VCM is mostly vibration. If it's not excessive vibration, I do not think this is a deal breaker, and also read on Acura's website that the '16 RDX has active engine mounts to control vibration in 3 cyl mode.
I have the 2010 accord v6 and had the oil issue and honda fixed the engine over a year ago and no problems since. I think like already mentioned, the new designed v6 that came out couple years later fixed the issue as well. I have a 2016 RDX on order and if I thought for a minute they still had these oil issues I would pass in a heartbeat. I have not heard of any engine issues in newer accords or acuras.
lji (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Puma Jim
I have the 2010 accord v6 and had the oil issue and honda fixed the engine over a year ago and no problems since. I think like already mentioned, the new designed v6 that came out couple years later fixed the issue as well. I have a 2016 RDX on order and if I thought for a minute they still had these oil issues I would pass in a heartbeat. I have not heard of any engine issues in newer accords or acuras.
Jim, am I reading your response correctly that Honda ended up fixing the oil issue with your '10 Accord V6? Or is it that the newer engine designs with VCM's have been fixed? If it was your '10 Accord V6, I'd be interested in finding out what fixed the oil consumption/spark plug fouling issues on these earlier V6's.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
They fixed the engine with resigned parts. First they did a patch and on a few rare occasions they had to do a rebuild as in my case. Sure seems to have fixed my issue
Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by lji

The 2016 RDX has a newer version of the V6 with a new VCM implementation. It is the same as the latest Accord V6 (can't recall the engine model number). So you can't compare this V6 with previous RDX V6's that had the older VCM version. Better to go into an Accord forum and ask late model V6 Accord owners.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lji

2014 RDX FWD with 58K miles and no oil comsumption or VCM issues.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tegraphile
2014 RDX FWD with 58K miles and no oil comsumption or VCM issues.
Way to resurrect the dead!!!! I will add my '16 with 49k miles burns no oil either.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Way to resurrect the dead!!!! I will add my '16 with 49k miles burns no oil either.
2014 RDX FWD Tech with 74K miles and no oil comsumption or VCM issues.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
No issues with mine either...
Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by danmangto
Nope. My VCM 2 2011 oddyseey touring just had the plugs foul up, rough idling and coil failure. Luckily no engine damage. Only 40k miles. Dealer said they are aware of it and covered the fix for free. They put new plugs a new coil and a PCM software The newest VCM 2 Hondas etc are in the class action lawsuit. I will be dumping it soon. Maybe honda will get this sorted out for VCM 3? Lol. No more homda vcm for me. NOt to mention the annoying vibration that my dumped 13 RDX vcm 2 would make at a steady 60mph highway with cruise control on. Unacceptable. Toyota all 6 cyl run and a real timing chain. No vibrations.
There is NO VCM-2 based Honda engines that are part of the lawsuit, because NONE are affected. 2013 Accord V6 and 2013 Acura RDX are one of the 1st to have the VCM-2 design.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I have had two of these VCM engines - '14 RLX and '17 RDX. Never used a drop of oil between changes. Also, can't tell when the VCM turns on or off - very smooth.