Steering wheel tilt issue:

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering wheel tilt issue:

I have posted about the steering wheel tilt before but never really got a resolution. So I feel like it has a slight tilt to the right. I took the car in for a checkup and the dealership said alignment is fine and it's not an issue..so I noticed that the whole steering wheel panel has a slight tilt to the right. I am not sure if you can see it in this picture. I know I am being anal about this but please let me know what you guys think of this.

Take a look at this picture...you maybe able to see what I am talking about. Slightly higher on left than right
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel tilt issue:-photo.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
So? What is the problem. Does it drive well, really, if you look at every piece of the car you will find some not perfect fits. Nothing is perfect. Look out the window and see how nice the world looks!
The following users liked this post:
DealsAllTheWay (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
They can fix that for you with an alignment. Because you didn't deal with it within the first 30 days of ownership, it will be on your dime.
Personally I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Texdriver
So? What is the problem. Does it drive well, really, if you look at every piece of the car you will find some not perfect fits. Nothing is perfect. Look out the window and see how nice the world looks!

It drives fine..no shaking or anything but that tilt just bothers me...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hand-filer
They can fix that for you with an alignment. Because you didn't deal with it within the first 30 days of ownership, it will be on your dime.
Personally I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I did take it in for an alignment check and they said it's fine..they said all alignment is electronic now and they gave me a printout which shows it being okay
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
DealsAllTheWay...I am not sure I can see what you are talking about in the picture. Are you referring to the cluster assembly being a bit shifted to the right?

As others have said, in the whole scheme of things, its nothing to be concerned about but I am like you, little details like this would annoy me too. Now for the record, the alignment can still be good but have your steering wheel a little off. Seeing a printout of your alignment states that you (toe/camber) is OK and your tires won't wear out in an uneven fashion but you could still have your steering tilted a bit (ask the folks owning a Q50 (little joke...sorry couldn't resist).

As hand-filer stated, if you want to go through this, you will likely have to pay out of your pocket but if that bothers you that much, and I know it would for me, then I'd say its money well invested
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
DealsAllTheWay...I am not sure I can see what you are talking about in the picture. Are you referring to the cluster assembly being a bit shifted to the right?

As others have said, in the whole scheme of things, its nothing to be concerned about but I am like you, little details like this would annoy me too. Now for the record, the alignment can still be good but have your steering wheel a little off. Seeing a printout of your alignment states that you (toe/camber) is OK and your tires won't wear out in an uneven fashion but you could still have your steering tilted a bit (ask the folks owning a Q50 (little joke...sorry couldn't resist).

As hand-filer stated, if you want to go through this, you will likely have to pay out of your pocket but if that bothers you that much, and I know it would for me, then I'd say its money well invested
maybe I am being too much but ya I am talking about the whole panel seems slight tilt downwards to the right..look at the picture.

btw, what do you mean about the Infiniti Q50? Is steering wheel tilt a big problem there?
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel tilt issue:-photo.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I did look at the picture and its hard to gauge (no pun intended) since the picture cuts off at the right hand side of the speedometer. I can sorta of see what you are saying but its a little inconclusive for me.

As far as the Q50, yes, some people were stating having the steering turned by a full quarter and the car still going straight. They are having issues with the "steer by wire" technology....
Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see what the OP is speaking of; it is the trim piece that is behind the steering wheel but in front of the gauge cluster. I have noticed the same thing in my 2014 that I received in mid-December.

It has nothing to do with the steering alignment, just how the trim and underlying pieces are installed.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2014 has the same issue. And I've seen it on other RDXs as well. It's disappointing because it's right in front of you all the time. But you get over it after having the car for a while. My steering wheel is straight, it's just the assembly between the wheel and dashboard/instrument cluster that is twisted several degrees clockwise.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvermoon
My 2014 has the same issue. And I've seen it on other RDXs as well. It's disappointing because it's right in front of you all the time. But you get over it after having the car for a while. My steering wheel is straight, it's just the assembly between the wheel and dashboard/instrument cluster that is twisted several degrees clockwise.
I have the same problem, only my steering wheel isn't straight. Even after 3 alignments.

Unfortunately I dont remember if this was always like this, or if it happened later.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
That bothers you, but all that dust doesn't???
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang, now that I looked at my steering trim I'm annoyed too! Probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't seen this post!